Food without memory is just digestion

Friday 18 April 2008

Secrets of Singapore - Sin Tong Kee

It's becoming somewhat tedious, Gentle Reader. That wretched Dominic (http://www.tokyoeater.blogspot.com/) seems to be one step ahead of me in searching out great dining experiences in Tokyo and then having the audacity to blog said venues. Oh, the pain. Oh, the shame! [giggle]

Truth be told, Dominic was kind enough to provide me with the meishi of Sin Tong Kee, the Singaporean restaurant in Ebisu causing considerable excitement among the fans of Sin-tsai in Tokyo. I was brave enough to advise the Child Bride of this discovery, so I was not surprised to receive a digital summons to meet said Child Bride and The Princess outside this hostelry.

Your Humble Correspondent is loath to recommend Sin Tong Kee - not because of any problem, but because it might fill up with loyal patrons very quickly leaving less space for me! Gentle Reader, this is the real deal - absolutely genuine Singaporean cuisine, Tiger beer, Raffles Singapore Slings ... the whole shooting match.

We arrived at 6:30, to be greeted by the nice touch of our names written on a blackboard. The place quickly filled with customers despite the pouring rain, and the staff were showing the signs of a little pressure. I magmanimously chose to forgive this slight stumble, because the food that was arriving kept the Child Bride and I launching into howls of delight.

We tried:
  • Spicy Spring Rolls (great sweet chilli sauce),
  • Ro Bak (outstanding, and inspiring me to try a yuba wrapping for my next pork and veal terrrine),
  • Satay (chicken and pork),
  • Char Kway Teow (the best I've ever had!),
  • Hainan Curry Chicken (delicate and juicy),
  • Chinese Pea Sprouts (garnished with fried garlic, and gobbled down even by The Princess!)

Sin Tong Kee was started two years ago by an expatriate Singaporean marketing lady, who brought with her treasured memories of Mama's chilli and Hainan Chicken Rice. The result is a bright beacon of authentic Singaporean cuisine here in Tokyo - delivered at an incredible price.

Enjoy Sin Tong Kee only with people you can trust with a secret. I promise, I'm going to be really annoyed if you fill it and don't leave a place for me! I'll be back again before the end of the month to try the Chilli Crab, Fish Head Curry, and Hainan Chicken Rice. Look for the little round man with the glazed look in his eyes.

Rating: Food: 9/10; Wine: 6/10; Ambiance: 6/10; Service: 6/10; Price ($$): 9/10. Total: 36/50

Sin Tong Kee [There is a map on the site] : 2F, Ryuo Bldg, 1-18-12 Ebisu Minami, Shibuya-ku, 03-3713-2255. OPEN EVERY DAY.

No comments: